Monday, May 26, 2014

Bachelor's Monologue

I wrote this piece after my parent's hit a rough spot in 2013. It's interesting reading some older pieces written a while back and reflect on how much has changed (positively changed, thankfully.)



                I was not drunk. I knew what I was doing, what I was about to cast away, what I would lose. But the difference from what I did and what she thought I did is that I had done it voluntarily. I was so accustomed to Fay dictating my actions that when she told me to leave, I left.

                Every footstep was another decibel of volume to Fay’s wailing, screaming at me that if I left, she would never ‘take’ me back. I didn’t need to be taken by anyone, of course. That’s why our relationship sunk faster than a block of iron in water: I was hers. I followed her direction under some false pretense that we loved each other mutually as people rather than belongings, but I suppose after seven years of failing to please her, I couldn’t really do anything to help anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment