Sunday, April 13, 2014

Wolfe In Sheep's Clothing Part 3

WOLFE
Johnathan is in a fragile place. Imagine a sleeping bull in a china shop. If the bull is plagued by nightmares, he might stampede in his sleep. This will also happen when someone wakes him. Right now, Johnathan is blinded by denial. I suggest some coping therapies and medication.
DETECTIVE WELSH
I suggest  we get more guns. But you know as well as I do that the Warden is as cheap as a back-alley Rolex. He talks like he  supports us, but we know where the money really goes. The boys have been saying that he wants to cut funding for your psychiatric facillity. Hopefully the case of your friend Johnathan convinces him otherwise. I would hate to see you lose your job.
WOLFE
If the warden had his way, I would be. But you’re right: I’m sure once he meets Johnathan in person next week, he’ll have a change of heart. Speaking of our mutual friend-
DETECTIVE WELSH huffs. WOLFE laughs lightly.
WOLFE
Well, my friend. Your acquaintance. First impressions can be forgiven.
DETECTIVE WELSH
Yeah, the impression of a spork in Reacher’s arm
WOLFE
Would you mind bringing Johnathan in? It’s time for our two o’ clock appointement.
DETECTIVE WELSH nods and exits. WOLFE gets up from his desk and opens the blinds. He takes a breath.
WOLFE
In the end, all will be well.
JOHNATHAN enters. WOLFE turns around to adress him with a smile. JOHNATHAN also smiles slightly.
WOLFE
Ah! Hello, Johnathan.
JOHNATHAN
Looking for UFOs, Doc? You haven’t been taking my prescription, have you?
WOLFE
Oh no, I’m not that crazy. I was just admiring the light.
JOHNATHAN
The light?
WOLFE
Yes. It illuminates everything with a celestial-like glow. The reflection of light in leaves, the presence of light in the grass blades, even the light living in your eyes.
JOHNATHAN
Uh-huh. Not crazy. Well, this isn’t a poetry reading, Doc, so why don’t we get started?
WOLFE chuckles and pats JOHNATHAN on the back and holds his hand out in the direction of the chair.
WOLFE
Of course. Why don’t we get started?
The pair sit down, WOLFE in his chair and JOHNATHAN in the patient’s chair.
WOLFE
How was your day, Johnathan?
JOHNATHAN
Well, let’s see. The canteen served fish tacos today, I was only threatened by five people, two of them cops, and I wasn’t shanked. All in all it seemed alright.
WOLFE
There’s something that you’re hiding from me. You know that you can trust me.
JOHNATHAN frowns. He looks at his hands, and then back up to WOLFE.
JOHNATHAN
I killed my wife’s murderer today.
WOLFE
See? Was that so difficult? Who was he?
JOHNATHAN
Officer Reacher. He didn’t even try to put on a facade. The straight second he looked at me, it was in disgust.
WOLFE
What did you do to him?
JOHNATHAN
I stabbed him in the chest and arm. Five times. With every strike, I felt more and more satisfaction.
WOLFE
What did you stab him with?
JOHNATHAN
A long pair of scissors. It was sharp as a razor. The guy must have been wearing body armor. He hardly bled at first.
WOLFE
Johnathan....
WOLFE pulls some scissors out of his desk.
WOLFE
What is this?
JOHNATHAN looks at the scissors queerly.
JOHNATHAN
A... A spork?
WOLFE grins.
WOLFE
Very good. We have much work to do, Johnathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment